I would never like to be an event organiser myself but I am a strong believer in the proverb ‘The outsider sees the most of the game.’ It is simpler for me to advise an over-laden events team or ineffective Charity Committee, who often miss the key ingredients of a successful fundraiser. The better the event the more likely the audience will feel inclined to support the cause financially.
So have you got it right? – Ask yourself 20 questions:
- Are you giving yourself enough lead time?
- Is the ticket price right?
- Is the venue the right one?
- Have you done a comprehensive budget?
- Have you got a realistic fundraising target?
- Do you have enough of the ‘right’ people coming?
- Do you have enough entertainment?
- Does the room have a good sound system?
- Can you make the room look inviting?
- How are you going to sell the event?
- Have you got the right Auctioneer?
- Have you got access to the right Auction items?
- Are you using the best Silent Auction Company?
- Have you nailed your running order?
- Do you have the right Master of Ceremonies?
- Have you checked the date doesn’t conflict?
- Black Tie, Lounge Suit or Smart/Casual?
- Have you got an attractive sponsor’s package?
- Is the event one they would attend again?
- Have you taken fundraising advice?
I am in awe of successful event organisers and the amount of time charity workers give to support fundraising events.
However, it is heart-breaking when after all the sweat and tears the event doesn’t achieve the fundraising target.
It is always for a reason which will feature in the questions above.
The Running Order is the key – start promptly, auction at the right time, fast- moving, no extended comfort breaks, get the entertainer(s) on at the right time and above all, finish on time.